Monday, December 21, 2009

High Definition Camcorders

As technology moves forward we find some digital camcorders getting really cheap, while other high definition camcorders getting extremely expensive.

I never really thought there was much behind the cameras as far as the technology goes, until I started doing my homework on the internet and reading and reading and reading more about the differences of all the cameras within the budget range I had set aside.

I think I fell victim to the information overload syndrom, as I tried to soak up all the knowledge available to make the best decision I could when it came to making that final purchase.

You could spend months reading about all the high definition camcorders on the market today, and still never have enough information. My advice to anyone looking to purchase one of the many units available is to ask around in your network of friends and family. Find out if you can borrow the unit for a week or 2 to do some research and homework, and then see how you like it.

While you're not going to film the next block buster hit, most cellular phones today come equipped with video recorders that do a pretty good job. The only downside to them is you're not going to be able to store much video content in those hand held cellular phones!

I just happen to know someone who owns a pretty expensive Sony high definition handycam. When I looked at the quality of the recording and compared it to what I was able to produce on my HD Camcorder, it was still light years ahead. The difference in cost, his unit cost about $4500 and my unit was about $600.

There are other variables that come into play as well. The more expensive units tend to gravitate towards a better quality of recording when you're working in lower lighted / evening / night recording event. As the sun falls behind the mountains, my cheaper unit starts to fade into a more granular based image.

On the more expensive unit, it seems if you have 1 light source it takes the power from that light source and uses it to illuminate the area you're recording. It reminded me of when I went through basic training in the military, using the night vision devices. All you need for a light source on the military devices was something as simple as the stars in the night sky.

So this is something else you want to make sure you test, if you're going to be doing any type of recording on an indoor environment then make sure you have the stage area well lit or that your high definition camcorder can handle the lighting conditions.

No comments: